Changing the Use of Your Property

What is Change of Use?

Changing the use of your property (e.g. from a beauty salon to a restaurant, or from a shop to a commercial school) may require planning permission. Before committing to a tenancy agreement or starting the renovation works on the premises, you are advised to use the information on this website to check if your intended use of the property can be allowed.

Why do you need to apply for planning permission to change the use of a premises?

Changing an approved use of a premises to another use may cause amenity problems to neighbouring premises in the area. A planning application for change of use would allow URA to assess if the intended new use is compatible and acceptable.

We work with other licensing agencies such as the Land Transport Authority (LTA), Singapore Police Force (SPF), and National Environment Agency (NEA) to ensure that the proposal can meet their requirements in addition to planning and land use considerations. 


Looking for suitable premises for your business?

Find out more on the assessment criteria for change of use.