http://119.75.207.227/conservationportal/mobile.consmap.html

Alexandra Road No. 366 (Former Anchor Brewery)

History
Get Page Link

This link has copied to your clipboard:

https://www.ura.gov.sg/Conservation-Portal/Home.aspx?bldgid=ALX01&page=History

OK

ABOUT

Located along Alexandra Road, the conserved building is a two-storey Arts & Craft styled bungalow.

THE HISTORY

Formerly used as the brewmaster's office, the building was part of Singapore’s first commercial brewery established by German businessmen in 1931. It was called the Archipelago Brewery Company, which also owned Anchor Brewery. The site in Alexandra Road was near the Malayan Railway, which provided convenient transportation for the export of its beer.

In 1939, with the onset of World War II, the British colonial government annexed the brewery as enemy property. In 1941, Malayan Breweries Limited, a joint venture between Heineken of Holland and Fraser & Neave, acquired the assets of Archipelago Brewery Company as well as the Anchor Brewery brand.

From the 1930s till the 1960s, the brewery was managed by Dutch expatriates.. However, locals were gradually hired for key positions such as engineers. Jobs at the brewery were well-sought after as the company was known for its good work culture and employee welfare.

Brewing was carried out at the main plant, located where Anchor Point now stands. Bottled beer was then transported via a wooden conveyor belt across an overhead bridge to the canning line, where IKEA stands today. Production continued till 1990, when operations were relocated to Tuas.

THE BUILDING

The building is of the crisp early Arts & Craft style of the 1920s and 1930s and is relatively rare in Singapore. It was part of a group of brewery buildings designed by Heinrich Rudolf Arbenz circa 1930s. It is characterised by the streamlining of classical motifs into simple geometric patterns and designs. This clean, white, red-trimmed building has a roof which is high-hipped and nearly pyramidal. The structural haunching of the beams to the columns is also reflected in the transoms above the window openings.

THE LEGACY

The original site, together with the canning line and warehouse, made way for redevelopment while the two-storey building is kept as the only reminder of the old Anchor Brewery. The building is now integrated with a condominium development, The Anchorage.

Gazetted on 12 February 1993 for conservation
Voluntary Conservation Scheme

Loading...Please wait...